Thursday, May 17, 2012

Azealia Banks comes for Iggy Azalea

 
Azealia Banks is an up and coming hip hop artist currently signed to Interscope. Iggy Azalea is also an up and coming artist currently signed to T.I.'s Grand Hustle. For those who don't know this beef kicked off back in February, in part due to Iggy's inclusion in XXL's 2012 Freshman class.


Iggy became the first female MC to be included in XXL's annual list. Well, Azealia took exception to her inclusion on the list and took to Twitter to voice her frustrations about it: 


The verse in question can be found on Iggy's track, 'D.R.U.G.S.':



Iggy later clarified what she meant by the verse on missjia.com:
In all fairness, it was a tacky and careless thing to say and if you are offended, I am sorry. Sometimes we get so caught up in our art and creating or trying to push boundaries, we don't stop to think how others may be hurt by it. In this situation I am guilty of doing that and I regret not thinking things through more. Source 

Things between the two remained tense until early March, when T.I. and Azalea did an interview with DJ Drama. 


Asked about the beef, Azalea made the following statement:
This is my day and it's my achievement. So you have to work to have your own achievements, with all due respect. So instead of worrying about who else is on there you should just be happy that i'm on there as a woman, for women. And if you wanna have an achievement, work and earn your own achievements. I can't take what's meant for you and you can't take what's meant for me.
When asked about his thoughts on the beef T.I. offered the following:
And strategically, if she really cares about a Freshman cover maybe she could hope that, y'know she'll suck enough to get shelved and then next year when the Freshman cover comes back around, maybe she'll still be a freshman.
To which Azealia tweeted the following:


T.I. responded to Azealia during another radio interview:



Choice quote:

About 3:20: I didn't even see it... I know they going through they thing, but the fact that... she's speaking upon me and mine. That is what I consider-- and excuse my language-- but that's bitch shit. I'm a man... Get your man to address me... Keep dealing with that woman. Me and you, we ain't got nowhere to go with that... I do what men do.


Azealia responded again, by Twitter:


This last tweet suggests this beef might be losing steam but if not expect the Beef blog to keep its ear to the streets and keep y'all informed on the latest happenings.

Props to PopHunter.com.

Beef rating:
3 out of 5
Spare ribs-- There might be a little bit of meat on these bones. Not much, but it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment